Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Bekah's crazy journey

I just realized that i never posted anything about my tumor and what I have been going through the past month. So here it i in a nutshell...
Most of you know that back in November I had a miscarriage. After that I had some issues during my period with extra clotting, etc I will not gross anyone out with the details. :) So in April I called my OB/GYN office and talked with a nurse and she told me that I needed to go in and have an ultrasound done to see what is going on. At that time I was thinking that I would most likely have to have a DNC where they clean out the uterus because maybe it just was never fully cleaned after the miscarriage. When I had the ultrasound my doctor was in shock and so was I to find a 10cm (4inch) tumor on my left ovary. That is the size of a large grapefruit! The doctor could not understand how I was not in immense pain. I did have some pains every so often but I always thought it was because of my periods and did not think much of it. We were also in shock that this tumor grew so big so rapidly because back in November I had 3 ultrasounds done and there was nothing there. so within 4 months it grew this big...crazy!! We did some blood test to check for cancer cells and PRAISE God it came back negative. He scheduled me to have a CT scan done to get a better look at the size, location, and type of tumor this was. From the results we found out that it was a dermoid tumor (dont look this up online unless you want to be grossed out). A dermoid tumor is a rare tumor that is usually benign and can contain hair, cartilage, teeth, etc. We decided that it needed to be taken out quickly so we scheduled my surgery for May 16. The doctor would make a bikini line incision similar to a C section and remove the tumor in hopes of saving my ovary.

On the day of the surgery I was oddly at peace because I knew in my heart that God would protect me and I had many people praying for me. I was ready for this tumor to be out of me. The surgery was very successful because the doctor was able to take my tumor out without any harm to my ovary or fallopian tube. PRAISE GOD that I have both ovaries and my right ovary and uterus looks very healthy. I have pictures of the tumor but will not gross anyone out with them by posting them. It is crazy to look at because it looks HUGE! My dermoid tumor contained hair and cartilage.

My recovery was suppose to be 2 weeks tops but I was in much more pain than I had expected. I had developed a hematoma (kind of like a blood clot or a hard knot bruise) on the left side under my incision. That thing was sooo painful and it made my recovery process a lot more difficult, painful, and longer. I also have a pulled muscle on the right side which has not made the recovery process easy. It has officially been 3 weeks and I am finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. I am able to walk around without much pain and do most of my normal activities. I still can not pick up my boys and walk with them, and driving is sometimes painful but it is getting better. At least am I beginning to feel productive instead of having to lay around all the time.

I am so blessed to have had so much help during my recovery. Nick's sister, Sheena and her husband Paul stayed with us for about 2 weeks after my surgery and I really do not know how I would have done it without their help. Nick also took off that first week to take care of me since I could barely get out of bed. Plus we had many wonderful friends and family members who brought us dinner everynight for 2 1/2 weeks! I am so thankful to know that God is taking care of me and is protecting my body. Now I just need to continue to heal safely so that Nick and I can hopefully be blessed with another child. Thank you everyone for your prayers!!

No comments: